Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May 28th still hanging there but not for long!


the joy of rolling at anchor

Spent another night managing local crew so they get
even amount of rest, I don'tseem to get anywhere
with that and every time I get up myself to do the round I
find the watchman asleep. If not, I had one singing
to stay awake while the other snoring, so either way,
I don't get much sleep out here!!!!

The weather
hasn't gone down and the anchorage is getting wilder
and rollier so hoping to put to sea today, even in
20knots+, the run down wind to Lata on Nendo
Island will be more comfortable! Just checked the
anchor: amazingly it has not moved despite the
35 knots gusts of last night, it's picked in a solid
bit of coral and rounding one bommie. BUt the
chain has now trashed a fair surface of coral. In
this exposed corner, the coral is fairly trashed by heavy waves
anyhow, but it's sad anyhow.

The boat will be packed full, I am swaping my
solomon crew Philip (not good enough for the job
unfortunately) so taking him back to fly back to
Honiara and replacing him with the son of one
of the Taumako navigators for help on the
voyage to Anuta. Of course negociating fair rates
is never an easy one, as one must make sure everything
is clear and agreed upon in advance. On top of it, may
take Mimi's colleague back too, provided they'd like
to contribute payment for their ride back to Lata.

A canoe ride over the 90 miles between Taumako and Lata
is 1000US otherwise but the weather is too heavy for canoe.

Over and out for now, I better get another coffee into me!
fred:)